Is your computer lagging so much? Is Windows Management Instrumentation WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage Windows 10 eating all your CPU? If yes, this post might help you to solve your issue within a few minutes.
This problem generally occurs when you install fresh windows or update from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It may also trouble because of a corrupted registry or bad software. Before We Go To Solution of WMI Provider Host you have to know more about it. so let’s get started. 🙂
- 1 What is WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE.exe)?
- 2 What is the WMI Provider Host high CPU usage?
- 3 Is WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE) a Virus?
- 4 How to Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage?
- 5 Conclusion:
What is WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE.exe)?
WMI Provider Host WmiPrvSE.exe is a service from Microsoft, built for developers for monitoring purpose. It is an important part of windows. It runs in the background all the time. But if it is consuming CPU a lot, there may be some issue with your windows. It allows 3rd party applications to request information for your system. It requires very low system resources.
What is the WMI Provider Host high CPU usage?
This feature is more useful at Industry level or in Windows Enterprise edition as it delivers the information to the required software. For example, a script in administrative console may need your system information to run the script in the proper manner. Recently we write on Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10 High Disk Usage You check that article too.
At home, you can use this WMI feature to explore hidden system info. You can use commands in the Admin Console to get information. For example, using WMIC (Windows Management Instrumentation Command) line we will find some info.
Open Command Prompt and type “wmic baseband get product, Manufacture, version, serial number“.
You can check Health of your Hard Drive too, type “wmic disk drive get status” in command prompt.
Is WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE) a Virus?
NO! WmiPvrSE is not a Virus or Trojan. It is a service from Microsoft. BUT, Some software can make a fake copy of this service. To confirm, go to Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+ESC) and find WMI Provider Host/WmiPrvSE and right click on it. Go to open file location and make sure it is in “C:\Windows\System32\wbem”. If it is NOT there and somewhere else, it may harm your computer.
How to Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage?
In order to solve all the issues regarding WMI Provider Host, you can follow these methods. I will drop THREE methods to solve the issue which is User-Friendly. You can just try restarting your computer to check if it solves the issue. Further, try installing Anti-Virus and run a full scan, it will solve all registry issues and trojans. You can Avast Premium, Avira, AVG or any other preferred Anti-Virus. Even Windows Defender sometimes does the job wonderfully.
METHOD #1: Boot Into Safe Mode
We will divide this in 2 parts for better understanding.
Booting in Safe Mode with Networking
- Search Advanced Startup in Windows Search which will open Settings. Click Restart Now under Advanced Startup.
- When your computer is restarting, you will see this screen.
- [ADD CHOOSE AN OPTION IMAGE HERE]
- Click Troubleshoot from the list.
- Advanced Option > Startup Option > Restart.
- When it restarts, it will show a list. Press F5 on your keyboard to start Safe Mode with Networking.
Diagnostic the Problem
- Once you see your desktop, press WindowsKey+X and open Windows PowerShell(admin).
- In PowerShell, type the following command “msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic“
- It will open System Maintenance Troubleshooting window which you have to follow instructions of.
- After completing the above steps, you can further move to next troubleshooter by following command “msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic“
- Follow the instructions and you are good to go. Simply restart your PC and check if WMI Provider Host is still using high CPU.
If This Method does not solve your issue, move ahead and try Method 2.
METHOD #2: Restarting WMI Services
In this process, we will stop and start all the known WMI Services. It solves the High CPU Usage generally. In order to do so follow the Steps.
- Open Run (WindowKey+R).
- Type services.msc which will open the Services window.
- Find Windows Management Instrumentation and restart it by right-click.
- Open Command Prompt in Administrative mode. In search type cmd, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- To restart the service we need first to stop them. Type the following commands in Command Window
net stop iphlpsvc(ENTER)
net stop wscsvc(ENTER)
net stop Winmgmt(ENTER)
Now to start the services again, use following commands.
net start Winmgmt(ENTER)
net start wscsvc(ENTER)
net start iphlpsvc(ENTER)
- Restart your computer to check if it solves High Usage Problem. If not go through method three.
METHOD #3: CHECK EVENTS AND FIND PROBLEM
Microsoft offers a software named Event Viewer which allows to check system information. To troubleshoot the WMI issue, we will use this tool. First of all, make sure you are in the Administrative account. We will identify the problems from Event Viewer and stop/uninstall it.
To open Event Viewer, press WindowKey+X on your keyboard. It will open a small box near the start, select Event Viewer from it.
Now to find the software which causes the problem to follow the steps.
- Click on View tab in Event Viewer and select Show Analytic and Debug Logs.
- You will see a lot of directories in the left panel, navigate it to operations. To do so Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WMI Activity > Operational.
- At this point, you will be able to see different errors. Errors which are caused during execution of WMI Provider Host. Select any one problem from the list.
- Under the list of errors, you can check information about them. When you select something it will give info in the General tab. Find ClientProcessId and note down its value.
- Repeat the above steps for all the errors and note down all the values. Now it is time to stop the causing software.
In order to stop and uninstall the software open Programs and Features from Control Panel. To identify the name of the software open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc). Go to the service tab and find application through PID you noted above. Immediately stop the service and uninstall it from Programs and Features.
This should solve your problem.
It is easy to solve the WMI Problems of High CPU usage. It is not a virus generally. The problem may occur due to the broken registry, corrupted software or any malfunction. These mentioned steps should help you to get rid of WMI usage and make your computer Lag Free. Keep Visit GeekHax Thank You.